Friday 20 November 2009

Episode 34

Digging the Third Channel



Well, as you might have already found out, Monostor is surrounded by water and forests. Two of those waters are man made. Those are Great Channel built between 1793 and 1802 later named Franz Jozef Channel and Danube-Tisa-Danube built in 1960's through the old flow of Danube. And these days your truly City Cowboy found some sunny days to build another channel.
To cut the very long story shorter,the rain water was flowing to one corner and from there under the house. To solve that problem I had to dig a a channel under the fireplace and lead the water through the pipes to the garden.
Sounds easy, well I thought so, but I didn't plan at that time that after breaking the concrete and digging for some time I've hit something hard. Cleaning the dirt I've noticed that it is not just a single brick but it was a 50cm thick wall made of brick wall. I called my neighbor to ask him how to mix concrete (cause as a city cowboy I never did that of course), and he was amazed that there is such a thick brick wall under ground. He said that bricks were always expensive and that no one in his right mind wouldn't build anything that thick if it wasn't very important. Still we couldn't find out what was that.








Second day I got some help from the youngest member of the family. Digging a hole under the other pillar was a bit more difficult cause i had to get the decline right.
after putting all the pipes underground and testing the whole system. I left the concrete for the third day.













Well everybody told me that mixing concrete without the mixer is very hard. Well I got to work. I put the amount of all of the ingredients as i was told, and started mixing with the shovel. I found out that it was not much more tiring that mixing the pizza dough. So to all the people who want to become cooks first try mixing concrete :)

And the last day was pure and simple mental work. Shoveling sand and earth back in the dich and cleaning up the yard. And of course giving the finishing touch to the concrete and fixing some holes in the old concrete slabs.

Well that was the short story about the digging, pipe-laying and pouring concrete which i did for the first time every in my life.



As there was some time left I've sown some parsley and radishes.





As from today I'm gonna update the situation in my garden, so you can watch you favorite vegetables grow. It is all presented on the board for one of the best games ever: Agricola. That game is one of my greatest inspiration and i hope that the author won't mind me using the artwork for my presentation. You can see the little symbol of what is happening to the certain plant currently.After all this is Agricola Live!! So come and visit us and taste the organic veggies from our garden!!

At the end I mad a little treat for us. A pate with some interesting spices!!!














Oh yes and cheese will be ready soon, but that will be in some other episode....

No comments:

Post a Comment