Tuesday 10 November 2009

Episode 32

What you've missed?

Well going back a few days our bad luck streak continued, one of my teeth broke. For it to be a real Mr. Jinx it broke Saturday evening, and for you who do not know we have a dentist who is only in the village on Tuesdays and Thursdays. So I took a few sips of Walnut Brandy (iodine+ alcohol+anesthetic+courage) dipped my fingers in it and got the tooth shards out. But the rest of the day I was out of action.

Home Made Pasta

So! Today I missed my appointment at the dentist today, and I decided to do something creative. It's been a long time sice I ate "Flekice s Kupusom". That is an old dish prefered by poor, since you need just some flower an egg or two and cabbage. It is simple pasta with cabbage and black pepper. Simple yet so tasty. As my Lidija says: "Sweet Simplicity".
That dish I learned from my grandma, who was an orphan and lived with her grandparents as a serving girl. She was a maestro in the kitchen!!Especially with pasta and cakes. Today working the pasta reminded me of my childhood and grandma. I remembered a lot of things from when I was just a little boy helping her in the kitchen. And now almost a quarter of a century later my son and I are doing the same. She would be so proud to see that I remember all of that after all of these years. Actually at one moment tears came to my eyes.

Yeah and another thing Leo started eating plastic frogs. Well it seems that he's gonna be a chef like his father if not even better!!!



If you want to taste "Flekice s Kupusom" or some other traditional dish or maybe Plastic Forgs :) come and visit us!!! Just write to citycboy@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Zulufe, posto si sad u Backoj, moras da jedes flekice s kupusom i secerom ;) (to je slovacki nacin)

    ReplyDelete
  2. E sad ovde su Shokci ne verujem da oni jedu sa secerom. Doduse juce sam jeo ostatak rizanaca sa sitnim sirom, secerom i suvim grozdjem. A standardno paradajz corba i punjene paprike idu sa secerom. Moja keva jede pecenje sa kompotom a vidim i poljaci... Ali za mene su flekice s kupusom povezane sa ukusom bibera :) Mada probacu....

    ReplyDelete